Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Recipes!!!


I thought I would include some recipes I have used for years. I enjoy reading recipes and sometimes I just sit down with one of my many cookbooks and read away.

Easy Fudge

2 cups sugar and 2/3 cup evaporated milk. Stir these together in a medium pan bring to a full boil and boil fpr 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 stick margarine or butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 cup chopped nuts.

Mix well until chips are melted. Pour into a 7" x 11" glass dish or a 9" square pan. Refrigerate until set. Cut and put into covered contained on counter. The flavor is better if room temperature.

I got this recipe from a Marhshall Fields cookbook.


Potato Soup

In a large pan cook 1 cup chopped onion and 1 cup chopped celery in a tablespoon of oil I use Canola. Cook until soft and then add 1/4 cup flour and whisk until well blended. Then add 1 cup hot tap water whisking well and then another 1/2 cup hot water.

Add 2 large potatoes chopped the way you like them and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Be sure to turn down the heat a little, and cover the pan.

When potatoes are done add 1 cup milk I use skim. Heat until warmed and enjoy. You can add salt and pepper to taste.


Sugar Cream Pie


4 tablespoons flour, 1 cup sugar, 1- 1/4 cups milk, butter or margarine, cinnamon, 9" unbaked pie shell Place 10 pea sized chunks of butter in bottom of crust. Add layers of sugar and flour. Pour in milk slowly. Do not stir. Sprinkle with cinnamon (I don't use this). Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour. Filling will look thin but will thicken up.


This is an old Indiana recipe.

I hope you enjoy these they are tried and true recipes . The photo is my old Hoosier style cupboard my husband gave me in 1989 a friend refinished it and he bought it for me. I can't believe someone would have painted that wood. LOL
It was built in Chillicothe, Ohio.

1 comment:

Holee said...

We like potato soup with a small can of creamed corn added. I think it's a Pa. dutch thing :)