It has been a very nice day. Went to the store like we do every Friday. I got 3 tomato plants and we dug up the patch we use for them. Just letting the damp ground dry out a little.
We used to live on an old country road where there were fields and farms across the road and a few homes on our side. This was in the 1970's early on. Then one day in 1974 a man knocked on the door wanting me to sign to have our area taken into Columbus. I refused. I guess the farmers wanted it to lower their taxes. Ha! What a joke. First the pig farm disappeared and what looked like a million houses popped up in that land. The rest of the land around there was made commercial and you can imagine what happened next. All kinds of stuff came in and when the apartments were being built behind us but south of our houses. We moved and got the heck out of there. That was in 1990. When we ride down our old street our old house is now a State Farm office. Our neighbor's to the north house is gone and a Wendy's is sitting there. The house to our direct south is gone and was moved to a larger lot in a different neighborhood. The land is now the entrance to a defunct shopping center. In the field across is a Kroger shopping center which I go to quite often. Columbus is now the largest land city in Ohio and I see why they are eating up the county. We have excellent services here. The mayor is a great guy and has been in office for a long time.
Being from Indianapolis we had there what was called unigov. The city took the whole county in but there are still pockets of independent towns like Speedway and Beech Grove. Indianapolis is hugebut I don't miss living there. Columbus has been my home for 38 years most of them good. I love Ohioans they are really just like Hoosiers in so many ways.
I have started a new doll quilt for the swap and it has completely gone in a new direction.
This is a photo of my husband and his brother in the yard at the house they grew up in on the NW side of Indy. DH is the driver.DARLENE
1 comment:
I know what you mean about development just eating up everything in its path. My mother and grandmother would never believe the area I live in now and how rural it was when they were alive.
I love that photo of the two little boys with the car.
Post a Comment